Thursday, November 26, 2009

Testing the limits of your camera

Below is a video I found on youtube of a student demonstrating camera techniques and playing with sound/image. This assignment is an essential one for anyone who wants to make films. Just taking a small camera out and trying to get each of these shots helps so much in understanding what you can do with the camera and how you manipulate the image. The major thing is playing with a camera. You can everybook in the world but when it comes down to it you need to take photos and play with a video camera to be able to understand how to compose a shot and effective create images.

Under the video is a list of camera shots/technique you should try if you have never done a project like this. I've included a link to each one to explain what that shot is and some of the significance behind each one. Many are from this video however I have added my own to this list.



List:

Establishing
Long Shot
Full shot (Wide Shot)
Mid Shot
Close Up
Extreme Close up
Eye Level
Low Angle
High Angle
Overhead
Undershot
God
Over the Shoulder
2 shot
Pan
Dolly
Dolly in / out
Tracking
Zoom in / out
Tilt up / down
POV (Point of View / Perspective)
Hitchcock Shot (dolly in zoom out or vice versa)
Manual Focus
Depth of Field
Rack Focus
White Balance - 5600K vs 3200K
180 Degree Rule
Continuity Editing
30 Degree Rule
Eyeline Match
Cutaway
Cross Cutting
Cutting on Action

I'm going to continue to add to this list and write a blog entry about each specific thing I've put up here. Write a comment of things I am missing (trust me there are tons) or links I should add etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment